Feed is the source of nutrition for pigs, but improper preparation of feed can also cause pig poisoning
Feed is the source of nutrition for pigs, but improper preparation of feed can also cause pig poisoning. Generally speaking, feed poisoning is generally caused by: improper preparation of feed, improper storage of feed, toxins in the feed itself, and salt poisoning.
Improper feed preparation is mainly caused by nitrite poisoning. Cabbage, rapeseed, celery, radish leaves, pumpkin leaves, chard, cabbage and wild vegetables, etc. are piled up for a long time or steamed in large quantities in a pot, and fed several times, especially after more than ten hours, a large number of reducing bacteria Reproduction, reducing nitrates in vegetables to nitrites, thereby causing poisoning in pigs.
Improper storage of feed is mainly caused by mold corn poisoning. Due to improper storage, corn is infected with poisonous Penicillium rubrum and Aspergillus flavus, and white, black, brown or red mycelium grows on the surface or inside the grain, which causes poisoning after eating by pigs. Severe acutely ill pigs will become ill and even die within two days. In addition, wheat, wheat bran, large bran, oats, etc. infected with mold can also cause poisoning.
The feed itself contains toxins. Like cottonseed cake, rapeseed cake, solanine, cyanic acid can poison pigs.
Cottonseed cake contains gossypol, which is a toxin that harms cells, blood vessels and nerves. The content of gossypol varies with different processing methods; rapeseed cake contains toxins such as isothiocyanate and oxazolidinethione, which can cause iodine metabolism in pigs Disorders, goiter, liver, kidney and gastrointestinal epithelial damage.
The sprouts, fresh stems and leaves and flower buds of potatoes contain a lot of solanine toxin, especially when the potato pieces are improperly stored, causing germination or the potato chips turn blue and purple, the content of solanine will increase significantly, when it reaches 0.02% The above will cause poisoning. Solanine can stimulate the gastric mucosa and cause inflammation. After being absorbed by the blood, it will damage the oblong brain and spinal cord, resulting in paralysis of sensory nerve endings.
Pig cyanide poisoning is caused by ingestion of plants containing cyanogenic glycosides or accidental ingestion of cyanide. Common plants containing cyanogenic glycosides are: sorghum seedlings and leaves, corn seedlings, flax leaves and flax cakes, cassava loquat leaves and some nuts. When the cyanoside enters the pig body, it becomes highly toxic cyanic acid after being hydrolyzed. Cyanide can paralyze the respiratory and blood circulation centers, hinder the metabolic function, destroy the oxidation process of the tissue, so that the oxygen carried by the blood cannot be absorbed by the cells, and finally lead to hypoxia and suffocation.
Salt poisoning. Salt is an indispensable mineral feed, but excessive feeding can cause poisoning. Because pigs are sensitive to salt and other livestock, especially when the pig body lacks nutrients such as vitamin E and certain amino acids, it can increase the harm of poisoning. Pigs are poisoned due to ingesting too much salt or feeding too much salt, and at the same time, they are not drinking enough water. Poisoning can be caused by feeding too much soy sauce residue, salted fish meal, pickled vegetables or brine of cured meat and fish, as well as suddenly increasing the amount of salt in the feed.